Filipino swimmers led the medal haul on day 1 of action at the 7th ASEAN Para Games in Naypyitaw, Myanmar last Wednesday, with Team Philippines clinching 2 gold, 3 silver and 5 bronze medals, enough to rank 7th in the medal tally among 10 competing countries.
2011 SEA Para Games triple gold medalist and record-breaker, Ernie Gawilan, won Philippines’ first gold medal of the game as he topped the pack of S8 swimmers in the men’s 400m freestyle event.
Speedo elite athlete and two time gold medalist in the 2010 Asian Para Games won the silver medal in the men’s 400m freestyle S9 event, while Roland Sabido and Gary Bejino clinched a bronze medal each in the men’s 400m freestyle S9 and men’s 50m breast SB7 events respectively.
Isaias Seronio of Table tennis (TT10-Open Singles) is the other gold medalist of day 1.
Here’s the complete list of Filipino medalists in day 1 of action at the 7th ASEAN Para Games:
1. Ernie Gawilan (Swimming) 400m FS-S8
2. Isaias Seronio (Table Tennis) TT10-Open
1. Arnel Aba (Swimming) 400m FS-S9
2. Arman Dino (Athletics) 100m T46
3. Joel Balatucan (Athletics) Shotput F55
1. Jeanette Acebeda (Athletics) Javelin-F11/12
2. Roland Sabido (Swimming) 400m FS-S9
3. Gary Bejino (Swimming) 50m Breast-SB7
4. Roger Tapia (Athletics) 100m T46
5. Isaias Seronio / Benedict Gaela (Table Tennis) TT10-Doubles