A deadly spider that can give men erections—sometimes for several hours—before they die was found in a bunch of bananas bought from a retail store in Britain, a UK news site reported.
Maria’s Layton said she was shocked to see the bag of bananas her husband bought from a retail store had been infested with the deadly spiders, The Bristol Post said.
“(My daughter) Siri asked for a banana. The first banana had a funny bit on it, so I got another one for her and that was when I found the massive spider cocoon. There was spider web on the other bananas too. I was so scared – I don’t like spiders at the best of times, but have read about Brazilan Wandering Spiders – and was very frightened about the potential threat to my family,” she said.
She added the spider cocoon started to unfurl, “so I put it in a sealed box and put it in the freezer as I read that that is supposed to kill them.”
It turned out the bananas were exported from Costa Rica, home to the aggressive Brazilian Wandering Spider (Phoneutria nigriventer) whose venom can cause a painful hours-long erection before death.
Wandering banana spiders
The spiders are called banana spiders and wandering spiders because they wander the jungle at night, and hide inside banana plants during the day.
Venom from these spiders can cause men to have an erection for four hours.
Scientists are studying the venom for use in erectile dysfunction treatments.
Layton, 43, said her husband bought the bananas from Tesco and that the bananas had been in the house a whole day before she opened the bag.
She said she then called Tesco customer services, who told her to take them back to the shop where she bought them.
When she posted the picture on Tesco’s Facebook page, she said she was told “to send the wrapper in so they could get the barcode to refund me!”
“Tesco were a bit useless, I was really concerned about the possibility of this dangerous spider and spider eggs in my house and really wanted some helpful advice on how to act. I wasn’t sure if other spiders or eggs had escpaed when I ripped the bag open,” she said.
The report said a Tesco customer service spokesperson, when asked if Tesco had a responsibility to the customer to send a pest control expert to the house, said its policy is “for the customer to take the product back to the store where it can be investigated.”
“We don’t have a service whereby someone can go out to the home,” the spokesperson said.
Not the first time
Last September, a woman in Essex had to incinerate her hoover after finding eggs in bananas she bought from Tesco, the report said.
In March 2014, a family evacuated from their Staffordshire home after finding hundreds of hatchlings.