Once considered a “poor man’s vegetable”, Moringa Oleifera, highly known as Malunggay in the Philippines, is now known a miracle tree because of its numerous health benefits – nature’s medicine cabinet!
All parts of the moringa malunggay tree – the leaves, pods, bark, seed, fruits and root – has medicinal value. It contains seven times more vitamin C from oranges, four times more calcium in milk, four times more vitamin A in carrots, three times more potassium than in bananas and two times more protein from milk.
Here are SEVEN Benefits we can get from malunggay :
ANTIBACTERIAL / ANTIVIRAL / ANTIFUNGAL
Malunggay leaves contain a compound called “pterygospermin” that is known in medical science as having antimicrobial, antibacterial, anti fungal properties. The juice of it’s fresh pounded leaves can be used to clean fresh cuts or wounds, to prevent infection and inflammation.
When added in your food (soup, porridge, etc.), it can help combat malnutrition because of its high contents of vitamin A, B, and C, calcium, iron, protein and potassium. It can also be a substitute for many foods, fruits and vegetables because of its high nutritional value.
ANTI TUMOR / CANCER
Moringa malunggay contains benzyl isothiocyanate that have chemoprotective and anti-cancer/anti-tumor properties. This chemoprotective aspect can also be helpful to those who are battling cancer because this helps strengthen cells so that they can tolerate chemotherapy, and at the same time prevent multiplicity of those deadly cancer cells.. Malunggay is also considered in the treatment of prostate cancer and skin cancer.
INCREASE MILK FOR NEW MOTHERS
For new mothers who have problems in breastfeeding their babies because of less flow of milk, adding malunggay to your diet could increase the flow of milk. The leaves can be added in soup or can be boiled and taken as tea. Malunggay has 4 times the calcium in milk, thus lactating mothers are encouraged toad malunggay leaves to their diet so they can produce more milk for their babies.
Moringa is also said to balance sugar levels, hence it is helpful in the fight against diabetes. These Malunggay leaves can easily decrease your extremely high blood sugar levels.
It contains more than 90 nutrients and 46 types of antioxidants. Antioxidants are imprint in health because they fight and kill free radicals which are the main culprits in many diseases including cancer.
IMPROVE SEXUAL ACTIVITY
Natural Nutrition for the Tropics has reported that Malunggay or Moringa Oleifera is widely believed to have an aphrodisiac action that enhances the sexual activity. They can also dynamically increase a male’s sperm count.
Up to this date, there has been no proven side-effects of consuming moringa tree leaves.
Subsequently, it can be consumed by small children and adults alike. Hence, it can be constituted in many foods like porridge, rice and even bread. According to a researcher, Dr. Monica Marcu, it is very potent because even in small amounts, it can supply the body of the needed nutrients. Plus, it has only a few calories.
Here are more benefits of using the malunggays in your backyard :
- Good source of vitamins because it was said to contain 18 amino acids and it is a good source of fiber and roughage.
- Can help boost one’s immune system about 10x more than those commercially-made vitamins and other health supplements.
- Acts as your “invisible dermatologist” as it can flawlessly restore your abnormal skin conditions without any aid of a plastic surgery.
- Effectively controls your blood pressure, as well as your migraine and headache attacks.
- Malunggay leaves can in time, do away with your tendon inflammations for good.
- Having problems with insomnia, take a cup of Malunggay leaves before going to bed.
- Make your eye muscles much stronger.
- Prevent incurring intestinal worms for children.
- Malunggay reduces asthma attacks.
- Treat stomach ulcers painlessly.
- The Malunggay seed is used to clean dirty or polluted water.